Listen to this article
As expected the Supercars calendar announcement confirms the return of Sandown as a 500-kilometre, two-driver endurance race.
Less expected, however, was the date, with Supercars announcing the revived Sandown 500 will take place on September 15-17.
That’s the same date a unified Australian Racing Group/Motorsport Australia already announced for a SpeedSeries round at Sandown next year.
FULL DETAILS OF THE 2023 SUPERCARS CALENDAR HERE
As it turns out Supercars was able to negotiate with circuit operator the Melbourne Racing Club to effectively reclaim that September date for the 500.
However that came as a surprise to Motorsport Australia, the governing body having made the SpeedSeries booking on behalf of itself and ARG.
As of earlier this morning, Motorsport Australia was still adamant it held the booking and had issued a statement to Motorsport.com expressing surprise over the clash.
However Motorsport Australia has since been informed by the MRC that Supercars has the priority over the booking.
“Motorsport Australia was told, as late as Thursday afternoon, that we still held the booking for Sandown on 15-17 September,” said a Motorsport Australia spokesperson.
“Today we …